meatLESS Cottage Pie Recipe
By June 10, 2013Published:
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 50 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 mins
- 4 medium potatoes
- 2 medium onions chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 carrots grated, with peel
- 1 medium yellow pepper chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup frozen peas defrosted
- 1 cup brown lentils cooked/canned (drained and rinsed)
- 1/3 cup hot milk
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grated Tussers cheese
- pinch salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 190 C.
- Chop the potatoes into cubes, leaving the skin on. Cook the potato cubes in salted boiling water until soft (about 25 minutes).
- Heat the oil in a pan and cook the onions until soft. Add the carrots and yellow pepper and continue to cook.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and add the vegetable stock.
- Stir in the peas and lentils, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Drain the potatoes. Add the hot milk, a pinch of salt and nutmeg. Mash until smooth.
- Spray an oven proof dish with non-stick spray. Spoon the lentil mixture into the dish and top with the mashed potato.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve individual portions in small pie pots. Use ramekins for small children.